Deadline Extended: Chautauqua 2018: Call for Living History Performers
Ohio Chautauqua 2018
Modern Legends: America in the Mid‐20th Century
Ohio Humanities seeks high‐quality living‐history scholars to portray historical characters for Ohio Chautauqua 2018, which will explore the theme Modern Legends: America in the Mid‐20th Century. The 2018 troupe will include American characters (1940‐1970) whose legacy has touched the modern imagination and left a larger‐than‐life imprint on the American psyche.
We welcome applications for characters that are appropriate to the theme.
Ohio Chautauqua is a three-week tour that takes place in three communities across Ohio during the month of June. Evening presentations are costumed performances based on thorough academic research. They consist of three acts: a monologue (30-40 minutes) followed by a question-and-answer session in character and a Q&A session out of character. During each week-long residency in an Ohio community, scholars will present one evening performance under the tent; conduct daytime programs for adults and families; be available for meetings and appearances at social and publicity events.
In addition they will submit an essay, timeline, and additional written materials for the Chautauqua Reader and other publications. An honorarium, per diem, and travel and lodging expenses will be provided to the scholars. Applicants are responsible for developing their own scripts, costumes, and props.
All applications to portray an Ohio Chautauqua 2018 character must include:
• Cover sheet with your contact information and the name of the character(s) you wish to portray
• Current CV detailing acting and research experience, along with letters of reference
• 500-word essay about what makes your character legendary
• A brief bibliography of sources you used to build your character
• A brief description of the programs you can offer for adults and for families
• Video (15 minutes or longer) of you portraying the proposed character
Submit applications to:
Missy Ricksecker, Program Coordinator
471 E. Broad Street, Suite 1620
Columbus, Ohio 43215-3857
Questions? Contact Missy Ricksecker at 800-293-9774; firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is May 15, 2017.