Union Chapel, South Newbury
By Shirely Wadja
On March 8 and 9, 1879, Susan B. Anthony (1820–1906) visited South Newbury, Ohio. For two hours each evening the dedicated social reformer spoke, devoting one lecture to “woman suffrage” and another to temperance in drink and tobacco. Each evening an audience large enough to burst through the wood board-and-batten walls of the modest, one-room building listened, according to the Geauga Republican, “with close attention.”
Read the full article with photos by award-winning Ohio photographer Charles Mintz.